Some Effective Communication Tips For Job Seekers
February 21, 2020
In your interview focus on establishing a good rapport with your interviewer. Effective communication in a job interview is essential to your success.
During The Interview:
- Answer all questions honestly and be honest, but in the most positive light possible.
- Feel free to ask for clarification before answering a question. Take time to formulate answers.
- Respond appropriately in a conversational tone but avoid over-communicating.
- Reinforce ability to communicate effectively by speaking clearly and avoiding “um”, “you know”, “like”, and other slang terms.
- Remember to listen actively. A good interview is a two way conversation that flows both ways.
- Interviewers most often gauge your interest level by the questions you ask or don’t ask.
- This is an opportunity to ask any questions regarding job responsibilities and the organization.
- Have a couple of polite conversational-type remarks ready for this small talk phase, for example comment positively on the building or surroundings.
- “Is there anything on my resume that you would like me to elaborate on?”
- “What do you see as the biggest challenge in this position?”
- “In your opinion, what are the key personality traits necessary to be successful in this position?”
- “What are the long term goals for the company?”
- “Is there growth potential in this position?”
Best Job Interview Tips
- Successful interview communication starts from that moment when you enter in the company. Make the right impression from the start.
- Good interview preparation is the day before your interview it helps to build your confidence.
- Confidence is an major part of successful job interview.
- Closing the interview is key to getting the job. Using the right closing statements leaves a positive impression with the interviewer.
- Good communication includes asking pertinent and thoughtful questions in your interview.
- Prepare a list of questions to ask the interviewer.
After The Interview:
- Take some notes regarding the interview so specific details of the job requirements, qualifications and any question can be asked.
- Leave a favorable last impression with the company by saying a thank you.
- Make a phone call to recruiter and discuss the interview status.
A note of appreciation should include:
- The correct spelling of the interviewer’s name and title
- Appreciation of the interviewer’s attention and time
- Allude to the interest in the position and personal ability to achieve success
- Finalize by expressing interest in speaking with the employer in the near future
Be prepared for an offer! Contact references in advance to verify an affirmative conversation.